Image Map

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Green Beans and Corn with Bacon, Onion and Garlic

I always like to dress up my side dishes a little bit.  Here is a combination that I put together back in July.  This has been sitting in drafts for a while, and I thought that I should post it before it gets lost.

This is certainly simple and easy and can hardly be called a recipe, but maybe it will spark an idea for someone.  I used frozen corn and drained, canned green beans  (my hubby's preference).  Frozen cooked or fresh cooked green beans can be also used.

Green Beans and Corn with Bacon, Onion and Garlic
2 slices bacon
1/4 c. onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can (16 oz.) canned green beans, drained (or use about 1 1/2 c. cooked fresh or frozen)
1 1/4 c. cooked corn, fresh or frozen (can use 1 can (16 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained)

Fry bacon in a medium skillet until crisp.  Remove to paper towel to drain.  Drain off bacon grease,  leaving just a film in the bottom of the skillet.  Add the onion and garlic to the skillet.  Cook about 5 minutes or until tender.  Add green beans and corn.  Heat through.  Just before serving, crumble bacon and scatter over green beans and corn.  Makes about 4 servings.

Linking to Side Dish Saturday

8 comments:

  1. I have some fresh green beans in the fridge already and will make this tomorrow. SO glad I came across this...I love dressing up my veggie side dishes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind comment! And for linking up your wonderful green beans and bacon! I love finding people who like side dishes as much as I. Looking forward to more of your side dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just picked Kentucky Blue Lake green beans and also Italian flat green beans from the garden. Not really enough for the three of us, but I have leftover corn from last night. We love our green beans cooked with onion and bacon, so I Googled green beans, corn and up came this recipe! Thank you for confirming that its not too "off the wall"! Lol I have a pork shoulder in the crock pot, and will do rice, thicken the broth from the pork roast for gravy on the rice, and now I have a side dish, thanka to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Karen. Thanks for stopping by with your nice comment. I tried to email you, but you appear to be a no-reply blogger. I am always surprised when someone has found me through Google. Hope you liked the recipe. Recently I made a combination of leftover corn-on-the-cob, green beans, red pepper and onion with a generous dash of pepper. It was very good also. I haven't put that post up yet. Your dinner sounds delicious. As a matter of fact, we had pork shoulder roast for dinner tonight also. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I am so delighted I found your blog page, I really found you
    by accident, while I was browsing on Askjeeve for something else, Anyhow I
    am here now and would just like to say thank you for a marvelous
    post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the minute but I have
    bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the superb work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow because this is really good job! Congrats and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep up the helpful work and generating the crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy looking through your web site. Thanks a ton!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...