Image Map

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Ingredient Spotlight-Powdered Sugar

Brownies  yesterday and cookies today.  Guess this is going to be a sweets week here at Grandma Loy's Kitchen.  When I think of powdered sugar, invariably some sort of sweet comes to mind.  So, that is what I am sharing today.  Jeweled Thumbprint Cookies.  This recipe comes from Taste of Home’s Best Country Cookies book.

I know it is early, but this cookie looks wonderful on a Christmas cookie plate.  One thing I love about this cookie is that you can vary the jams or jellies that you use.  I have even used homemade apple butter.  When I do that I do not put the apple butter on the cookies until just before serving as it doesn’t set up the way that jam or jelly does.  I have also used lemon curd on the cookies.  When I do that, I substitute lemon extract for the almond extract.

The flavor in this cookie is very dependent on the butter and powdered sugar.  Fresh butter is a must, and a fresh box of powdered sugar wouldn't hurt either.

I have altered the directions somewhat from the original.  I sift the powdered sugar or put it through a sieve to make sure there are no lumps.  If I forget to take the butter from the refrigerator ahead, I will put the unwrapped butter in a microwave safe bowl and microwave it in 10 second increments until soft enough.  I like using my cookie scoop which makes about 1-inch balls and only get about 3 dozen 1 1/2-inch cookies.  I think the original yield given in the directions is optimistic, and the cookies would be very small.

Jeweled Thumbprints

TOH Best of Country Cookies, 1999
Sent in by Mary Debono. New York, NY

3/4 c. butter, well softened (no substitutes)
3/4 c. powdered sugar, sifted
1 egg yolk
1/2 t. almond extract
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. jam, jelly or preserves, your choice


Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in egg yolk and extract until very well combined.  Add flour in 1/4 c. increments, beat well after each addition.  Cover and chill 1-2 hours until easy to handle.  Roll into 3/4-inch balls.  (See my comment above.)  Place on a greased baking sheet.  With the end of a wooden spoon handle make an indention about 1/4-in deep in the center of each ball.   Bake at 350 degrees 12-14 minutes until edges are lightly browned.  Remove to wire racks to cool.  When cool, fill indentation in each cookie with about 1/4 teaspoon jam, jelly or preserves.  Makes 6 dozen



Linking to Ingredient Spotlight, Cast Party Wednesday, These Chicks Cooked
Sweets for a Saturday

1 comment:

  1. Thank You So MUCH for joining me last week for Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you will come back tomorrow and share more of your recipes with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...