Image Map

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Bonus DIY-Sweetened Condensed Milk

Tomorrow I am going to share a great one-step homemade ice cream recipe that takes no ice cream maker.  The recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk, which can be a little expensive.

Here is a wonderful recipe for homemade sweetened condensed milk that looks and tastes just like the original.  I have tried a number of recipes over the years that used only nonfat dry milk, sugar, and butter.  They were never quite “right.”  This recipes uses a can of evaporated milk, and that makes all the difference.

I have changed the direction somewhat from the ones I posted as a comment on the Eat at Home blog last year.  This makes an amount equal to 3 cans of purchased sweetened condensed milk.

IMG_0586-1
                     .
IMG_0598-1
                     
Homemade Sweetened Condensed Milk
4 c. sugar
1 can evaporated milk
1 c. non-fat dry milk
6 T. butter or margarine sliced

Put sugar in a food processor  and blend until super fine.  If you do not have a large food processor, put sugar, 1 cup at a time, in a blender or mini food processor and blend until super fine.  (This is what I do.)  Combine sugar, evaporated milk, dry milk, and butter in a large saucepan.  Mix very well.  Cook over medium heat, watching carefully and stirring often, until butter melts and sugar dissolves.  Remove from heat and divide evenly into thirds, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/3 cup each.  Refrigerate overnight before using to allow mixture to thicken up.  This keep 2 weeks in the refrigerator and can be frozen up to 6 months.  It may be a little grainy after thawing, but it smooths out when mixed with other ingredients.  Makes the equivalent  of 3 cans of purchased sweetened condensed milk.

This may be made fat-free by using skim evaporated milk and omitting the butter or margarine.  I think that you could reduce the sugar by using Splenda for at least part of the sugar, but I have never experimented with that.

Come back tomorrow for a really great one-step, no ice-cream maker, homemade ice cream

Linking to Full Plate Thursday
Recipe Swap
It's a Keeper 
Sweets for a Saturday 
Strut Your Stuff

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I've looked at several recipes for this, but am glad I found yours. It looks like it will be much closer to the actual real deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this! Thanks! I found this on Full Plate Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I had no idea it was that simple to make at home. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cool. I had no idea you could make your own sweetened condensed milk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is such an awesome idea!! stopping by from

    http://georgiascookiejar.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Loy,
    What a great recipe to have. Living in the country we are always looking for recipes to make something that we may not have in the pantry. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon. Hope you are having a great week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you shared. This is definitely a 'gold mine' kind of recipe I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this and I love it! Thank you for sharing this shortcut :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time checking out your blog, found through pinterest. I made this today and it tastes AMAZING. and just like it should! I used 2 cups white sugar and 2/3 cup agave. I didn't do the blender trick out of sheer laziness and it was still perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. 12 fl. oz., easily found at almost any grocery store in the US.

      Delete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...