Image Map

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Bacon/Cheese Dogs in Blankets

In my effort to get 60 recipes posted by August 1st. so that I can join the Secret Recipe Club, I am suspending Skipping through Blogland posts until August.  So here is a recipe I hope you enjoy.

We don't eat a lot of hot dogs or wieners here, but recently I was able to purchase 1 lb. packages of hot dogs for $ .39.  That is not a typo.  Well, when I can get hot dogs for that price, I am buying them, and will figure out something to do with them.

I was trying to decide what to make for lunch over the weekend and found a package of the hot dogs in the fridge along with a tube of crescent rolls that had been in there awhile.  Still trying to informally do the pantry-cleanup challenge, I decided to use these for lunch.  I remembered a recipe that had been posted over at Barbara Bakes for Bacon Wrapped Cheese Hot Dogs.  They looked so good, that I decided to adapt her idea using the crescent rolls.  I think that these might be a hit with kids.

Bacon/Cheese Dogs in Blankets

1 pkg. hot dogs or wieners with 8 in the package
4 to 8 slices bacon
1 tube crescent rolls
hot dog relish, other relish, or mayonnaise
about 1/2 c. sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated

I prefer to cook my hot dogs in some boiling water for a few minutes to plump them up, but this step can be omitted.  Cook bacon slices until almost crisp but still flexible.  (I used bacon half slices, but think that next time I will use whole slices.)  Place bacon on paper towels to drain.  Drain bacon fat from skillet.
Open crescent rolls and divide into the 8 wedges.  Place wedges on baking sheet.  Spread 1-2 t. hot dog relish over each wedge.
Slit each hot dog in half lengthwise, but not all the way through.  (Next time I will briefly fry the hot dogs, slit side down, in the skillet the bacon was cooked in.)  Place a hot dog about 1/3 of the way below the wide end of a crescent wedge.  Fill the slit with about 2 t. of Cheddar cheese.  Place a bacon slice on top of the cheese.  Wrap the crescent roll over the hot dog, keeping the hot dog upright.  (See photo of uncooked hot dogs.)  Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Bake at 375 degrees 13 to 15 minutes.  Makes 8 hot dogs.  My husband dipped these in Ken's Honey Mustard Salad Dressing.

Linking to:  Full Plate Thursday
Recipe Swap Thursday
It's a Keeper Thursday
Ingredient Spotlight

2 comments:

  1. Thank for the recipe idea. I plan to make it soon for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grandma Loy,
    I just love dogs of any kind and your Bacon Cheddar Dogs look so delicious. I can almost taste one right now. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you will come back again real soon. Have a great week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...