Image Map

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Simmered Chinese Chicken

We made a quick trip out of town yesterday (Sat.), just got back early this a.m. (Sun.), and I see that this did not post like I thought I had scheduled it.  So, there will be two posts today (Sun.).

IMG_0148-1


I make this recipe a lot.   Very quick, very easy.  You can cook a whole 3-4 lb. chicken in less than an hour.  This recipe produces very moist meat with a slight teriyaki flavor.  I usually use sherry in this, but had some apple juice I needed to use up so I used that.  If I don’t have green onions on hand, I usually just use a tablespoon of dried, minced onion.  Since I can make this so fast, I have never made this in a slow cooker, but I am sure that you could.  Unlike roasting, the skin will not be crisp, but it will come right off.  This recipe came from a Foster Farms Whole Chicken package.  The recipe suggested serving with rice.  Hubby is not a big plain rice eater so I serve it with fried rice and green beans with almonds


Simmered Chinese Chicken
1 whole chicken, 3 to 3 1/2 lbs.
1 T. oil
1/3 c. soy sauce, regular or reduced sodium
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. water
1 T. ketchup
1/4 c. dry sherry or apple juice
1/2 to 3/4 t. crushed dried red pepper (opt.)
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 bunch green onions sliced
1 T. cornstarch
1 T. water
2 t. toasted sesame seeds (opt.)

Heat oil in Dutch oven, brown chicken on all sides. Mix together soy sauce, brown sugar, water, ketchup, sherry, red pepper, garlic, and onion. Pour mixture over chicken. Cover and simmer 35 to 40 min. I usually turn the chicken over once or twice so all sides get immersed in the sauce for a while. Remove chicken to a platter, draining juices back into the pan. Skim fat from sauce. Blend together, cornstarch and water, stir into sauce. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Sprinkle chicken with sesame seeds. Serve with sauce.

This is pretty fast for time, but here are microwave directions: Place chicken in 3 qt. casserole. Pour sauce mixture over chicken. Cover, microwave on HIGH 5 min. Microwave on MEDIUM 15 min. Turn chicken. Cover, microwave on MEDIUM 15 to 20 min. Remove chicken to a platter. Blend cornstarch and water, stir into sauce. Microwave on HIGH 1-2 min. until thickened.

Linking up to I'm Lovin It at Tidy Mom
Hunk of Meat Monday
Ingredient Spotlight

Tomorrow:  Links to Help for New Bloggers

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for hopping over to my blog from Finding Joy in My Kitchen's Friday Finds link up! I will have to try this recipe soon! I was surprised to see you are from Moxee - my best friend is originally from there and her parents and older sister still live there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed your link on $5 Dinners. I'm always looking for frugal recipes to try and I can't wait to try this one! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made my five to try list for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again! I've been visiting around your blog and seeing all of your delicious recipes! I definitely going to try this one day, it looks and sounds so delicious! Thanks again for sharing!
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. Oriental flavors are my favorite. Thanks for linking up and be sure to check out this week's Hunk of Meat Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been making this recipe for years. First found on package of Foster Farms chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Couldn't find the recipe anymore off the back of Foster Farms chicken. It's been years since my husband made this wonderful delicacy. Now thanks to you I can cook for him. Make this in the winter especially because it's oh so comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found this again. Although I don't post any more, one of the reasons I did this blog was to record recipes I liked so they didn't disappear.

      Delete

I love to read your comments and suggestions. Hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grandma Loy"s Kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...